Hi, i'm Briana!
Hey there!
Welcome to Royally Pink. I'm Briana; I've been running Royally Pink for the past 7 years and have loved every minute of it.

I write about everything from beauty to fashion to mental health to career and book reviews.

If you want to know more, just click this button below!
WANNA KNOW MORE?
read more
  • BEAUTY
    Wanna know my makeup routine or my favourite cosmetics? Here you can find it! Check it out now! ♡
    Read more
  • LIFESTYLE
    Here you can everything about my life philosophy ♡
    Read more
  • BOOK REVIEWS
    Do you want to read some book reviews? Here you can find my BOOK REVIEW WEDNESDAY posts! ♡
    Read more

Book Review Wednesday: Sweetbitter

I was really excited to read Sweetbitter. It was one of those books where the cover drew me in just as much as the summary did.

It was described as a coming of age novel, a girl coming to New York and figuring out her way. It sounded like I would love it -- who doesn't love a good "coming of age novel"?

Uh, well I was surely mistaken.



The book follows around Tess, who moves to New York from I'm assuming New Jersey (not that far from home), and she gets a job at the best restaurant in town. Almost the entire book is about her working at this restaurant/wine bar and the cast of characters that comes through the doors.

Still, it doesn't sound so bad.

Well, it was.

My goodness, I really hated this book. I couldn't wait for it to be over. I listened to it on Audible and it was incredibly long. I didn't stop listening to it because I thought it would pick up and something truly shocking would happen.

It never did.

This was one of the most anti-climatic books ever, and Tess was a very annoying protagonist. She was very whiny, and I really didn't feel bad for her at any point in the book, even though she played the victim very well.

There was a lot of drugs and drinking in the book; the book was all over the place, jumping from one scene to another without wrapping up the previous scene. I felt like it moved at a glacial pace and nothing ever really happened.

I couldn't even tell you what the book was about, because none of it made sense. I think it was supposed to be a little poetic, that's what some reviews said, but it was just too much for me. I felt like I really didn't understand what was going on half the time.

I usually don't write this negative of a review of a book, but I know that this book has gotten a lot of hype, and a lot of people want to read it; if you've been reading my Book Review Wednesday series for a while, and have similar taste as me, don't waste your time. This book was all over the place.

What was a bad book you read lately?